If you’ve never suffered from sciatica, be thankful. Other than burn injuries, back injuries can be some of the most painful injuries you’ll ever suffer as a result of an auto accident. The pain starts in your back and then travels down from your hip to the bottom of your leg. If you’re lucky, it’ll only happen intermittently.
However, many of our patients suffer from it all day long. It can get to be so bad that you’ll do anything to relieve the pain. Our Atlanta chiropractic treatment practitioners understand this. They’ll use all the tools in their arsenal to help treat sciatica and relieve the pain and inflammation.
We always recommend that our clients go online and do a search for, “Best Auto Accident Doctors Near Me.” This should give you a good idea of where you can go for chiropractic treatment in Atlanta. The sooner you see the chiropractor for help treating sciatica, the sooner you’ll find relief.
Once you can get the pain under control, you’ll be able to go back to leading a full, rich life. Of course, some patients do have such severe sciatica that they need surgery or some other invasive procedure. While our chiropractic treatment certainly can’t help with that, we can do whatever we can in the meantime to make your life as pain-free as possible.
What Is Sciatica?
Sciatica is a medical condition in which the nerve that runs from your hip to your leg feels pressure and responds by causing you pain. It’s actually a nerve issue but most people associate it with back pain.
If you’ve been involved in a car crash, you may be familiar with this kind of pain. Other people suffer from this sort of thing all their lives. You have two choices. You can either learn how to live with the pain. Or you can choose to take advantage of chiropractic treatment in Atlanta to treat sciatica.
While sciatica is a nerve issue, it is usually triggered by other things. It’s not that a nerve is damaged or even pinched. It is simply that your discs are putting pressure on the surrounding nerves. This is why many of our patients who suffer from sciatica also suffer from slipped or herniated discs.
What Are the Major Causes of Sciatica?
If you’re wondering what causes sciatica, wonder no more. It’s important for our practitioners to understand the major causes of this condition in order to treat them. If we don’t know what brought on the pain, we don’t know the best way to approach chiropractic treatment.
Typically, sciatica can be caused or triggered by the following:
- Pregnancy – When women gain weight during pregnancy, they often times suffer from this condition. The added weight is not something they’re used to. It can cause their discs to bulge, thereby putting added pressure on their nerves.
- Spinal Stenosis – As people get older, they typically suffer from a variety of ailments. One of these is something called stenosis. Image your spine being hammered down non-stop for decades. This ultimately results in severe pain and agony. Spinal stenosis itself can be caused by auto accidents as well.
- Disc Issues – Obviously, if you already have disc issues, there’s a good chance you’ll suffer from sciatica as well.
Are There Certain Risk Factors You Should Look Out For?
Even if you aren’t involved in an auto accident, you can still suffer from sciatica. Certain people are at a much higher risk of developing this condition. The risk factors include:
People who are overweight naturally put a lot of added pressure on their nerves. With the extra weight, it’s hard for the body to avoid the inflammation that causes sciatica. Many of our patients who are overweight find that, if they lose weight, even just 10% of their body weight, they can find a lot of sciatic relief. It may never go away completely, but you’ll feel it comes around a lot less often.
If you’re the kind of woman (or man) who wears high heels all the time, you’re almost asking for trouble. A lot of people who wear heels for work or to go out socially suffer from sciatica at some point. It may not start until you’re in your 30s or 40s. However, it’s almost inevitable that you’ll end up with some back issues as you grow older.
Obviously, as we get older, we’re prone to suffer from all sorts of congenital disorders. Sciatica is no different. People who are in their 60s or 70s are much more likely to suffer from this condition than their younger counterparts.
How Can Atlanta Chiropractic Treatment Help Treat Sciatica?
There are a variety of ways in which Atlanta chiropractic treatment can help with your sciatica. The best thing about chiropractic treatment is that it’s non-invasive and it doesn’t require you to take a lot of drugs.
Some of the techniques chiropractic treatment uses to help with your sciatica include the following:
- Ultrasounds – This treatment sends soundwaves through your body which helps relieve the inflammation and pain in your back.
- TENS Unit – This stands for, “Transcutaneous Electrical Nerve Stimulator.” It is a little box that is connected to electrodes that you stick to the areas of your body that are hurting. You can control the speed and intensity of the unit.
- Adjustments or Manipulations – When the chiropractor does an adjustment, they ease the tension and inflammation in your back and neck. This can open up your range of motion and relieve a lot of the pain you’re experiencing.
- Massage – There is always the option of massage treatment. This penetrates and stimulates your muscles and helps reduce the pressure on your nerves.
Contact One of Our Practitioners to Schedule Atlanta Chiropractic Treatment
If you’ve been suffering from sciatica and are desperately seeking relief, go online and look up the “best auto accident doctor near me.” Our Atlanta chiropractic treatment center can help. We’ve treated thousands of clients who are suffering from back issues, including sciatica. Our trained professionals know how to help relieve your pain and make your life enjoyable again.
Call our office today and schedule your initial assessment.