What Type of Doctor Should I See After a Car Wreck

After a car accident, it’s always a good idea to get checked out by a doctor, even if you feel fine. Better safe than sorry, right? But what type of doctor should you see? That depends on the nature of your car accident injuries.

Let’s review the options so you can find the right doctor for your situation. Contact Hurt 911 to get the medical care and legal help you need after a car accident in Georgia.

We have a team of experienced doctors, physical therapists, and chiropractors. Plus, we work with top personal injury lawyers who can help you get the compensation you deserve.

Emergency Room for Severe Car Accident Injuries

If you have severe injuries like head trauma, signs of internal injuries, chest pain, or broken bones, head straight to the emergency room or call 911. The most important thing is getting the appropriate care as quickly as possible so you can get back to living your life.

Urgent Care or Primary Care for Minor Injuries

If your injuries seem minor after an accident, your primary care physician is a great first stop. They know your medical history and can properly assess the situation. See your family doctor for cuts, sprains, or bruises.

For diagnostics, your PCP can order X-rays, MRIs, or CT scans if needed. They can also refer you to specialists like orthopedists or neurologists for follow-up. Your PCP can recommend over-the-counter pain medications or prescribe something stronger if required.

You can also visit an urgent care center for minor car accident injuries. Follow-up visits with your primary doctor are important to check on injury healing and address any new or lingering issues.

Orthopedists for Bone and Joint Injuries

If you’ve suffered broken bones, joint injuries, or damage to your musculoskeletal system in an accident, an orthopedic doctor should be one of your first calls. Orthopedists are physicians who specialize in the diagnosis and treatment of injuries and diseases of the bones, joints, ligaments, tendons, and muscles.

See an orthopedic doctor for fractures, sprains, strains, tears, and other trauma to your skeleton and joints. They can properly set broken bones, provide splints or casts, and determine if surgery is needed for severe breaks or injuries.

Follow-up appointments will be needed to check on your progress, adjust or remove any splints or casts, and determine when it’s safe to increase weight-bearing activities. The orthopedist will evaluate when you’ve made sufficient progress to return to work, sports, or other higher-level activities.

Car accident injuries

Neurologists for Head and Spine Injuries

If you’ve experienced head or spine trauma in an accident, seeing a neurologist should be a top priority. Neurologists specialize in disorders of the brain, spinal cord, and nerves—and they’re experts in diagnosing and treating injuries related to the central nervous system.

A neurologist can properly assess the severity of a head or spinal injury through a physical exam, balance/cognition tests, and imaging scans like CT or MRI. They can then determine a treatment plan to help minimize damage and optimize your recovery.

A neurologist has the expertise to test your nerve function, determine the underlying cause of your symptoms, and recommend appropriate treatment.

Physical Therapists for Rehabilitation

Physical therapy is often an important part of rehabilitation after a car accident. Physical therapists work with patients to restore joint flexibility and muscle strength, making it easier to perform daily activities. Physical therapy can help minimize the risk of chronic pain or complications.

Chiropractors for Pain Relief 

Chiropractors can help alleviate pain, especially in the back, neck, and joints, which are common areas of discomfort after a car accident. By restoring the proper alignment of the spine, chiropractic techniques can help improve range of motion and flexibility.

Plastic Surgeons for Severe Lacerations or Burns

If your accident has left you with severe cuts, gashes, or burns, you should see a plastic surgeon. Plastic surgeons specialize in repairing damage to the skin and tissues. They have intensive training and experience closing wounds and minimizing scarring.

Call Hurt 911 to Get Treatment After a Car Accident

Call HURT 911 Injury Centers right away after an accident for diagnosis and treatment. Our doctors and staff are trained to properly assess car accident injuries so you get the care you need to heal as quickly as possible.

Call HURT 911 today at 855-475-2588 or 1-800-HURT911. Let our doctors properly assess your car accident injuries so you get the treatment and documentation you need after an accident. Your health and the outcome of your case depend on the right care right away.